Thursday, November 29, 2007

My grandmother's quilt

I decided that my first post should be about the quilt I created two weeks ago, for my grandmother, which also inspired the name of my blog.
Eu decidi escrever na minha primeira publicacao deste blog sobre a colcha (quilt) que fiz para a minha avo ha duas semanas, o qual tambem serviu the inspiracao para o nome do blog.

I made the top of this quilt in one day, while the kids went with daddy to see the grandparents. I was inspired by the quilts in the book Kaffe Fasset's "quilts in the sun",... but was not sure about the fabrics to use.
Fiz a parte de cima num so dia, enquanto os meus filhos tinham ido a casa dos avos com o pai. A composicao foi inspirada pelos quilts do livro de Kaffe Fasset "quilts in the sun",... do que eu nao estava certa era de que tecidos usar!

I wanted oranges, yellows and warm earth colors but.... So I went to my stash and started combining. I wanted something that warmed my grandmother in the cold winter days, literally and visually.
Eu queria a colcha em tons de laranja, amarelo e outras cores quentes, mas..... Entao, fui a minha "coleccao" e comecei a combinar. Eu queria uma colcha que aquecesse o corpo e a alma da minha avo.


My grandmother used to be a tailor. She has sewn many clothes, for me and for the rest of the family. The blue fabric in the above square is a leftover from a dress she made for herself and which she gave to me when she learned about my new hobby.
A minha avo era alfaiate, coseu muitas roupas para mim e para toda a familia. O tecido azul no quadrado acima e um resto de um vestido que tinha feito para si propria e o qual me deu quando (muito espantada) soube que eu gostava de costurar nos "tempos livres".


I sent the quilt some days ago and really really hope it gets to her hands, and soon!
Enviei a colcha ha alguns dias e estou ansiosa para que ele chegue as suas maos.




7 comments:

Carmen said...

Congratulations for your new blog and your new quilt! It's great! Your grandmother is going to love it! And it's amazing that you made it so quickly! you are giong to get me inspired! I helped my sister today to pick some fabricss for a new quilt too :)Welcome to the blogosphere!

Gisele Schoene said...

Nossa, ficou super lindo, colorido e com certeza vai aquece-la, nao so o corpo mas tambem o coracao!
Que bom que voce criou um blog para a gente ver como vai a sua vida na Carolina do Norte. Quem venham muitos e muitos posts. Beijos!

Pilar said...

Is beautiful Clara!!!! I think that your grandma will be very very happy with the quilt and the inspiration for your blog name!
The children look very big!!!
A big hug!

Yanina said...

Parabens, Clara!!! Nois estabamos com saudades de voce!!! MUITA!!!
O quilt e muito bonito! Adorei os colores! Ficou realmente "caluroso" : )

Jen B said...

Clara, I love the quilt, and that you started a blog. The quilt is gorgeous, and Rui and Ana Christina are adorable all wrapped up in it.

Claudia said...

Hello and welcome to the blog world!... it'll be super nice to visit your virtual home and see how is it going with your life.

Lovely quilt... a special gift for a special woman...congratulations!

Un abrazo GiGaNtE...clau.

zeliaevora said...

Que linda colcha:)